4.30.2011

Plum Delicious

Even though I got off the boat a couple weeks past perfect plum pickin' time, me and my pretty Peggy picked, peeled, pitted and prepared pans of plums for preserving. (Phew, my fingers got tangled up typing that. ) There weren't a lot of plums left, but we decided we'd can what little we could rescue.

The dogs were around helping as well. I managed to save these plums from the squirrels and birds.
It's pretty labor intensive peeling and pitting them, but me and Peggy make a good team. I peel them then put them in a bowl with some lemon juice to keep them fresh.




Peggy uses her sharp fingernails to remove the seeds and inner membrane.
We covered the plums with water, added a few pounds of sugar and left them in the fridge over night to macerate (who said i don't know a few big words).
We let them simmer for an hour this evening, added some sure gel and canned them up. These loquat plums are great canned; either jellied like these or in a syrup like ya would can peaches. We love them over ice cream or short cakes etc.




As I write this post I hear the occasional "tink" of the jars sealing out in the kitchen. It's music to this chubby Cajun's ears. Sorry we didn't include a recipe, but we have made jelly enough to where we just kinda 'winged' it. Fruit and lemon juice, sugar and Sure gel are all we use and we have canning down to a streamlined, almost effortless chore. Thas another post though. :-)

4 comments:

Suzy said...

You need to get a pitter. I have one for cherries and I think that might work for your little plums too...maybe? Looks like lots of work but I bet they are great.

cappy said...

I KNEW we should have posted a picture of the seeds. They are smooth and shiney, and there might be as many as two or three in one plum. Believe me, after the hours it took to 'clean' them I'd have welcomed anything that would have made the job easier. Whose nose, a pitter might make ie easier. I dread next years full batch of 'em. This year's was too small.

Anonymous said...

LOOK ITS SANTA PLAYING WITH MINI PUMPKINS! =P
-RJ

cappy said...

LOL, Robert!