1.26.2014

Cappy! Why Are Ya Always Cooking So Much BBQ?

Surely you kindred spirits get this question from folks that don't understand us "pit heads".:grilling_smilie:  "Cappy, it's just the two of you, wtf ya cookin' so much chicken for???" Folks just don't get it.  "Why do a whole 12 lb. pork butt, or a big ol' brisket for just yall?"  Well, I guess the answer is...'cause it's fun!!!!:yahoo:We did like 8 lbs. of chicken thighs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRMYM4Rdi_0

How do ya justify something like this?? Well, my answer is: I have learned over the years to be the 'master of leftover BBQ'.  I mean, let's face it; I aint got a restaurant or BBQ stand, as an outlet for all the food we cook. It's seldom that I can scare up enough folks to account for a pit full of so much meat, but I love doing it, so I have created a number of dishes that uses the leftovers. I figure that supports my logic for filling the pit, smoking up the neighborhood, and having a ball doing it. The weird thing is; most of the folks doing the questioning about it, do it with one of my ribs in their hand.:ROTF
Anyway, I digress. What do yall do with your leftover BBQ? How do you justify your pit passion??
Here is one of my favorite leftover chicken dishes: chicken and black-eyed peas.



Good cooks don't hafta measure most of the time. I like to think I might be one of them, so what I did was place a few pieces of leftover chicken in the bottom of our large cast-iron pot. I coulda used a smaller pot, but, but I had recently used and cleaned this pot, and had set it on the stove to dry, where it sat lookin' all seductive and handy. LOL...I tole ya I LOVE to cook, and from earlier posts,  you know I love my black-iron pots, like any good Cajun does. This particular pot has been in my family for over a hundred years and been to more gatherings and get togethers than even I would ever know about. So, I invited this beloved ol' "gal" to this "party" by whacking up an onion, a piece of Cajun sausage, and a spoonful of my own Cappy's Cajun spice, a pound of dried black-eyed peas, covered it with water and set it to simmering. A trick my Mama taught me is: when cooking dried beans, ya only add the water a lil at a time, as  needed.   So, that's what I'm doing. It's a great way to spend a Sunday, watching movies with a pot of beans simmering on the stove. It's also a great way to continue enjoying the 'fruits' of my rusty ole BBQ pit that I had fun with the other day.  :icon_biggrin:

Some people might also say that I'm easily amused, but I would say I just appreciate the little things in life. I take joy (Cajun joie de vivre) enjoying the "simple life". (...And I hope dat answers the question.)

No comments: