1.25.2014

Cappy's Cajun Smoked, Hot Chicken Thighs

Funny how things change.  Thanks to the Buffalo Hot Wing craze ya can't get chicken wings for less than $2.50 a lb these days, while we often find leg quarters on sale for 50 cents a lb.  Well it didn't take this ole cost-conscious country boy long to load up on 10 lb sacks of leg quarters and cut them up and start making 'hot legs" or 'hot thighs" instead of hot wings.  I mean shucks, they got more meat on them anyways.


  .
I put my chicken marinating in a mixture of:


12oz. of beer
1/4 to 1/2 cup of my own Cappy's Cajun Seasoning to taste; approx.( I shake & don't measure.)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Crystal Hot Sauce, to taste
1 tablespoon Liquid Crab Boil
1 tablespoon Worchester sauce


The chicken soaks in the spicy marinade, then when we put the chicken on the pit. We pour the marinade in a small saucepan, add a stick of butter and reduce it by like 1/3.  Simmering the sauce kills any raw chicken germs as well as "marries" all the flavors and thickens the sauce.  We use it to "mop" onto the chicken as it cooks, to flavor and help keep it moist.

On accounta it was sleeting and freezing rain,

 I hadda fire up the charcoal chimney inside the pit to protect it from drippage.


Once the carcoal was lit,

 I put the chicken on the pit and the marinade in a small saucepan with a stick of butter, to reduce on a low heat..


Now we cookin':439: 
So now, on accounta it being an "icicley" kinda rainy day, I occasionally take a sip from the jug of "antifreeze" that lives on the windowsill of the shed.


After an hour I gave the chicken a mop.

.
When I  say "mop",  you can tell I  aint jokin':drool: 

After a couple hours it's mostly done so I turned it overNot for even cooking, but so I  could mop the other side.th_wsmsmile0ly.gif


After 2 and a half hours of moppin',moppin',moppin',floppin', moppin', I called them "did".



Job completed, I retreated back into the warm house with my "hot thighs" and sausage, and enjoyed the rest of the freezing cold, cloudy drizzly, icy icicles from inside, looking out the window, while all snuggled in my recliner enjoying the rewards of my fun, "miserable" Winter Day. Hope yall enjoying your winter wherever yall are at. 
   Well, it appears that since the last photo won't load on here for some reason, I'll give you the option to see it on the little video we made along with taking the photos you see here. To see the video, click on the link and as usual, it will take you to our "Cappyandpegody's channel" over there on youtube.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRMYM4Rdi_0&list=UUe6CkaSkPG0EXROyp-xQkjw&feature=c4-overview


No comments: