3.06.2007


I doodled this l'il cartoon when the kids were very little. This was typical, and a direct quote of Dan, who is the tot running into the room bawling. My reaction was "Wha...wha...HUH??!" He followed it up, with, "..and he did it for purpose, too!" I don't think I handled a lot of those scenarios with a lot of panache. I'm very pleased with Dan, today, tho' and the way he handles his kiddoes. I'm amazed at how he's grown to be patient and rational, even in the face of...well, everyday "cwayzee-ness".
I talked with him on the phone the other day, as he had called me to let me know that their new baby...OUR new grandbaby is due around the 17th or 18th this month. He and Jennifer are getting all the new baby furniture and things ready. I'd like to go up and be there when she has him. He's a little boy, who will be named Chase Stephen (Steven? I forgot to ask the spelling) What with Cappy's work schedule in flux right now, I'm not sure when I will be traveling, or if Cappy will be going with me. Either way, we are both excited.
I'm looking forward to seeing all the grandbabies. Sweet and cuddly, every one of them, even if some of them are in their teens.
Dan mentioned something about having diaper changing again, bumps and scrapes to worry about as the baby is growing,...the first day of school to look forward to again. All the wonderful things life hands ya. At least he shouldn't have to worry about anyone stepping on his ear again...at least for awhile anyhow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS DAN!!!!! and Grama and Grampy, how many this make for him???
peg....you tryin to catch me in grands?
total i have 21 so far. thats birth and by marriage.
jeff has 4+3
tre has 3+3
tahra 2
jessi 2
carrie 3
heather 1
that equals 21!
dang i'm getting old
love ya!

cappy said...

Hiya Mori! But we are Bubbie & Grandpa. Lemme see...Bobb=1, Dan(will be)=4,Thom=2,Joe=2
So that'll make 9. Yeah! YOU are getting old :-p ((MORI))

Anonymous said...

oh yea, i knew it was bubbie, i just couldn't think of it.
just gimme my cane an my rocker, lol

cappy said...

LOL anonyous...not til I'm done with 'em.

joofus said...

(let me preface this by stating the following is meant to be sarcastically humorous)
STOP THE PRESS!!! So, you mean to tell me, mother, that Thom (who was much smaller than Dan) stepped on Dan's ear too? And you mean to tell me that Dan being older, much bigger than Thom, came running and crying to you? Also, if Thom knowingly stepped on his brother's ear for the purpose of causing pain, he must have been at least 6 years old. That means Dan, being the older brother was at least 8. How many 8 year old kids would coin the phrase "he did it FOR purpose" hmmmm????? Do you honestly think Dan would not have taken matters into his own hands, instead causing Thom to come running and crying to you? Not only does this not add up, it goes against what I remember.
I don't mean to challenge your memory, mother, but I remember (vividly!!) that Thom stepped on my ear "as well", on the step going into our bedroom. As I recall, I used the exact words "and he did it for purpose". Furthermore, my ears, being larger and “floppier” than the rest of my siblings, were always a target for pain and suffering, especially in the form of jocular remarks. Also, Correct me if I’m wrong, but most younger siblings who are hurt by much older siblings can do nothing in retaliation except to seek restitution from their mother or care-giver.
So let’s set the record straight. Either you are mistaken about whose ear was stepped on or Thom has a history of offenses and hatred for auditory endowments.

Secondly, I personally think it's a huge stretch to SAY that Dan, my brother, is a patient and rational. Nothing says “patient and rational” better than being an hour late for work because you had to chase down a car that cut you off on the highway. Then proceed to punch and rock the said car to the point where it’s wheels come off the ground and the car runs a red light because getting into an accident is better than staying in the “company” of my brother. I’m not saying he’s not patient or rational at all, I’m just saying I truly believe that my brother invented road rage. That’s all.

cappy said...

Well, who woulda ever thought that our sons would be standin' in line, waiting to take credit for having their ear was stepped on. The one thing we know for sure,even though the "step-ee" may be in question, we definitly know who the "step-er" was. (I drew this cartoon, minutes from the actual happening; it was so outrageously funny and I didn't want to lose it.) What clears up the matter of the age thing, tho, thinking about it, was that You, "Joofus" (IF indeed that is your real name :-P), were the one who made up that phrase "and he did it for purpose", because of some other offense. But it stuck, and I like it. I didn't mean to give Dan credit about something you made up, Honey.
As far as Dan's temper or lack thereof, Pop and I could not be more proud of the man he has become. Anyone can have a mild temper, but it takes a true man to control his bad temper. He's really grown a lot since the wild crazy tantrums of his youth. (That's what we see in him, anyhow.) Gosh, I sure hope nobody opens up the can of worms from when I was young and foolish.
You know I've always been close to you and proud of you, and even tho I never thought it was possible, I am even more so today. Our beautiful daughter-in-law, who is amazing, OUR gorgeous grandbabies, Ashley and Zachery...and yeah, da cats...giggling here.
As Pop is always saying, "Tell Joe, to 'brought yerself down here and give us chance to blog all the fun we had with him and his family'."