5.05.2011

Cappy's 5-Gallon Bucket Tip

Dang near every country boy I know has a bunch of 5 gallon buckets around. These versatile pails have much too many uses to list here, and anyone could come up with 20 or so without even thinking hard. They always wind up stacked up one inside the other in a big pile in a shed or barn somewhere and stick together so tightly that it takes all your strength, determination and profanity to pry them apart again. Well, here's a great little tip that solves that problem while still allowing ya to stack them up for storage. Take a piece of nylon twine and tie the end to one side of the bucket handle. I use some tar-dipped nylon catfishin' string I always have around the house, but any good strong twine will do.Let the string hang down in the bucket. Place another bucket in the bucket on top of the string. Adjust the length of the string so that the top bucket fits in just to where it's handle is touching the second ring of the bucket, and tie it off.Once the string is tied, you can push the handle of the top bucket under the ring on the bottom bucket and that locks the buckets together.Once hooked together they stay together well and never get stuck. All ya have to do is lift the handle of the top bucket and they slide right apart. The string keeps them from getting stuck together.
You can easily stack and carry many buckets as ya want that way. They hook together by their handles.
If you need more than one bucket just lift the handle of the bottom bucket ya want and they will lift easily from the top of the stack.
This bucket tip will solve ya lots of stuck buckets and save ya space in storing them. When using the bucket alls ya gotta do is flop the string to the out side of the bucket. This sure makes this country boy's life easier.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I been around 5gl buckets ALL my life and never heard that one. My dad was a contractor and we had lots buckets. VERY GOOD TIP.

Foy said...

that last comment was me Foy

cappy said...

Oh...good! We hope it helps people. I didn't know it either, and got all frustrated until Cappy showed me how to fix the problem.

Unknown said...

You are a smart cookie Cappy!!! Will try that vera thang today. Love it!

TheSeventhDragon said...

this better work cuz
i'm about ready to use my stuck bucket stash for target practice
and you know how a country girl loves her buckets.
thanx Cappy!

Unknown said...

Beware...! There's a string attached to this bucket idea. I accidentally stepped inside the loop of the string on the ground while I was in a hurry and, unaware, took the next rapid step only to have the bucket come hurling up at my leg, smashing it's lip deep into the muscle of my left calf. I had to ice my leg for quite a while and even now, months later, I'm still having issues with it. (Pegody here...prolly nobody else would do something like this.)

Jan said...

Hope you see this after all this time. This sounds like a great idea for my tower of buckets that are completely stuck together outdoors in our 100-degree heat. (I'll be trying compressed air or the like to pry them apart.) However, I really don't understand how you're "tying off" the 2nd bucket. The pictures from that angle don't really give me an idea, and I'm feeling a bit stupid. Are you pulling the end of the 1st bucket string up to tie it off, or are you using the 1st string to somehow tie the second one? Please help.

Gage said...

Really cool stumbling on a little corner of the internet, hope all you fine folks are doing well. I'm a painter, and I have alot of 5gallon buckets revolving through my work van. I started cleaning them out and saving them, which necessitates me to stack them for the winter. I hope to make a little vegetable garden on my patio next year with them!