3.23.2009

The Process of Progress

I went to bed last night, fully expecting to blissfully sleep in, for a change, but this morning the phone woke me up. It was Keith, the guy from Southern Cabinets wanting to come right out and begin installing the new kitchen stuffsus!!! He asked if we had gotten the old stuff taken out, and I said, "Yes! Just yesterday!" A little while later, he pulled in with a truckload of butter colored (I call it 'sun-washed') boxes. He had to make a couple of trips, but he and a Mr. Ricky began installing them. They had this cool gadget I'd never seen. It is a 360 degree laser level. I hope the beam shows up...my flash insisted on catching it, even when I didn't want it to flash. I guess you'd have to click on the picture to see it; but only if you want to...heck, to you it might be 'old hat'. For me, I just thought it was downright coolness.They still have more to do, like put on the doors, and the 'jewelry' for the doors, that being the pulls and handles. I had spent a lot of time in the stores and online looking for the perfect style. I had just about given up, when I began to more closely inspect the handles that were on the existing old cabinets. Although they had been washed about a billion times over the twenty years they had been on there, they had taken on a 'patina'. They had become almost the same color of the dark wood to which they were attached. Since they were going to be tossed to the road anyhow, I unscrewed them, put them in a sink with vinegar and other elixers and let them soak. When I took a toothbrush to them, I was amazed at the beautiful bronze color that appeared, and immediately fell in love with them. Wow! No wonder the owner had picked them out in the first place. My quest was over! I found my treasure; my kitchen jewelry; I found my booty with my own two hands! Whoo Hoo.

It's all starting to come together nicely. Mr. Tim, the floor tile guy has been called and will be stopping by to put down some more tile where the divider cabinets had been. Mr. Chris Z., the carpenter is scheduled to help Keith with the over the stove fan installment, moving the fridge, etc. An electrician has still to be found.
Hey, Cappy and I are getting excited!


One thing, tho'. Between Keith's trips, apparently something had happened. As he was installing one of the cabinets, he said, "One of your dogs put paw prints in this one and got it dirty". I wonder how that happened.











4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look mom and dad,it's the new time out corner!Pssssssst! Could ya store the treats in here to? lol
Taff

cappy said...

LOL, Taffy. I'll treat him alright. This particular cabinet was upside-down at the time, so the paw prints were on the ceiling of the thing. And Keith, is an artisan when it comes to his work. He did a few things today for the tiny black granite table, and MAN! The stuff he did to intall the leg and support, I've only seen that Norm guy do on This Old House. Carved or cut into these two corbels, and cut or carved into the leg to insure it's strength and integrity. The more we see this 'kid' work, the more impressed we are. He was telling me that a lot of other guys in his same field are scrambling for work, but he's got such a long list of clients waiting, that he can't take a break. I can sure see why. And he hustles; the second he gets here he's hammering and sawing, working fast and meticulously.

Anonymous said...

wow i can't believe the difference in there! its huge!!!!
looks so nice now that its opened up....but now where you gonna put the cell phones? lol

love ya mori

cappy said...

Boy, I think I bit off way more than I can chew. Keith can't go much further til an electrician comes in and does a lot of work, that I hadn't anticipated, being a newbie to all this stuff. I'm waiting on Keith to 'hook me up' with the only electrician he recommends. Although I've had some good suggestions from people around our town, here. The floor guy showed up, but he might not be able to make the floor repairs til after our company goes back to Rochester...Mr. Ed and Miss Jean, who will be spending more than a week with us. Jean is a 'foodie', as well, and is still or at least was a caterer. Friday the stone guy will be here. Meanwhile yawta see my living conditions. LOL. I hadda rinse my lettuce in the bathroom sink. It reminded me of Kramer in one of the Seinfeld stories. And somehow...I don't know how, but I found a bottle of mustard sitting on the bathroom countertop. I dunno, I think I might also have to bring in a plumber, too, for the new kitchen sink, the dishwasher, and...I'm wondering if the fridge needs his attention, because when we move it, it's got a thingy that makes ice. So it's goina need water, from somewhere.
It looks bigger right now, Mori, but when I start putting things back into it, it might start to look crowded again.
And Taffy, I sure wish the doors were on some of the cupboards, I'd stash the Brat in there for the safe keeping time out you were talking about. I think so, anyhow.... Naw, maybe not.