3.01.2009

When Life Hands You Lemons

Our Meyers lemon tree was so full of ripe juicy lemons that it was starving itself trying to keep them all fed. I grabbed my trusty garden shears, picked the lemons that were dragging the ground and tried to lighten the load on the tree, which by the way, is already putting out it gloriously aromatic spring flowers. We parked the wheel-barrow full of lemons on the road with a "Free Lemons" sign on it, but the few people that stopped by didn't make a noticable dent in the load. I went to surfin' da net for lemon suggestions and Googled lemon jelly. I was thrilled to find a recipe on a blog that sounded good, so Peg and I went to making jelly. The jelly came out wonderful. Thanks to a nice lady named Diane ( http://famcorner.blogspot.com/ ) for the recipe. We will be heading out shortly for more canning supplies and can't wait to try this wonderful jelly in some recipes which we are already cooking up in our heads, like sweet and sour lemon chicken or .....

4 comments:

Suzy said...

Heyyyyyy stuff a flat rate box for me and send it out this way..I'll pay you back! Have you ever thought of Limoncello? Go check out my online buddies blog for the recipe she tried.
http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/beverages

cappy said...

Whoaaaa Suzy...I went and checked it out. We are going to have to try to make some of that stuff! It should keep well, ya think? So's next time you come down this way, we can take a few sips together in celebration of your COMING DOWN THIS WAY :-D

Diane said...

So very happy that you enjoyed the Meyer lemon jelly! I just love it and your lemons were amazing! I am very late on answering this, but just found the comment going back Love your blog.

AnnaMagnani said...

Hi. Thanks for the recipe. In cooler weather, I make make my own yoghurt using a 2-qt. yoghurt-maker and 2% milk. I'm planning to stir a good spoonful into my individual serving. It should be great. Thanks again.
P.S. The seeds are quite high in pectin. Marisa McClellan (Food in Jars, blog & book) has us cook the Meyers seeds in water for the pectin.